Sunday, March 16, 2014

mint + carrot

yesterday i made from-scratch carrot soup (I even made the stock! very proud.). the recipe was loosely based on the carrot soup from the original moosewood cookbook (which is an amazing book -- the gypsy soup is my favorite). I made a few changes though. i sautéed minced garlic and ginger together in quite a bit of butter, then added the onions later because I had cooked a big batch of onions earlier. I also left out the cashews, and I used only 1/2 cup of vegan sour cream at the end. I also added just a pinch cinnamon. 


as for the mojito...that came together rather serendipitously. I went to the grocery store early in the morning, and their fresh herbs were on sale. so, I bought an ounce of mint, then brought it home and made a simple syrup (1 pt water + 1 pt sugar + I pt chopped mint.). then I realized I had about one shot of white rum left and an unopened bottle of club soda. ta-da! I love making my own food. 



No comments:

Post a Comment